Monday, January 25, 2010

January Blahs...

Does anybody have the January blahs?
I seem to today.
It is grey and rainy when it should be snowy and sunny.
How do you overcome the blahs?

I overcome them by picking something inspiring and colourful to knit. So I have picked up a small sharf (shawl/scarf) from the latest KnitScene called Emily to knit. It is a fun lace knit that can be done in a 4 ply or a lace weight yarn. I have chosen a 4 ply Malabrigo sock yarn from my personal stash. I think that it would also be stunning in any of the Cadenza sock weight that I have on the shelves.


This Mandy Moore Pattern is an easy to follow lace. It starts off small so by the time you are doing longer rows the pattern is solidified in the brain. At least that is what I am finding.



Don't you just love that orange? I feel surrounded by warmth when I knit with it.

If you are looking for something colorful to knit with there is now 3 shades of Silk Garden Sock in the shop and 5 colors of Silk Garden worsted weight.

The Silk Garden Sock is wonderful combined with Cadenza and knit into a simple triangular shawl. I have Emily's in the shop for inspiration!
About a year ago I knit a Log Cabin Blanket with Silk Garden Worsted and I think I am about to revisit that knit just to play with colour. I will get out my sample at the shop and dig up the basic pattern for anyone who is interested.

Also in my project pile is my latest tree. I am knitting a 3 dimensional Ash Tree. So far I have the main trunk done and I am prepping to start dividing it into smaller sections. This has led me on wanders through the neibourhood to analyze how an Ash tree branches out. I have also been really taken with the colors of the mosses that grow on Ash trees. Wandering outside, even on dull days, seems to banish the blahs for a bit too.



If you need a shot of color to ward off the January Blues pop by the shop and have a sensory feast!

See you soon!

No comments: